Skip to main content

Central Vista: Delhi HC to pronounce verdict tomorrow on petition challenging project work

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court will decide on Monday whether to allow the continuation of the Central Vista project work during the prevailing Covid pandemic.

A bench of Chief Justice DN Patel and Justice Jyoti Singh, which had been hearing a plea for suspending the ongoing construction work during the Covid pandemic, has fixed 31 May for delivery of its judgement on it, the high court’s cause list revealed on Saturday.

The court had reserved its judgement on 17 May on the joint plea by Anya Malhotra, a translator, and Sohail Hashmi, a historian and documentary filmmaker. The two had contended in their plea that the project was not an essential activity and can be put on hold for time being.

During the 17 May hearing, the Centre had termed the plea as a "facade" or a "disguise", aimed at stalling the project. The petitioners on the other hand had contended they were only interested in the safety of workers at the site and citizens living in the area. The petitioners' counsel had likened the project to "Auschwitz", a German concentration camp during World War II.

Hard hitting arguments against the maintainability of the plea were made during the hearing. Shapoorji Pallonji and Company Pvt Ltd, which has been awarded the tender for the project, had also opposed the plea, saying it lacks bonafide and the company was taking care of its workforce.

Terming the Central Vista project as "central fortress of death" and comparing it to "Auschwitz", the petitioners' counsel Sidharth Luthra had contended that the Centre's claim on the availability of medical facilities, testing centre and other amenities on the site were all false. He had said only empty tents have been pitched at the site and there were no beds for workers to stay or sleep there.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre, however, had taken strong exceptions to the project being dubbed as “Auschwitz” and said "one can criticise and be venomous" about it but such terms should not be used in courtrooms.

Countering the petitioners’ claims, the Centre’s law officer had said one of the petitioners had been opposed to the project long before it got the go-ahead from the Supreme Court in January this year. He said the petitioners were not concerned with the health and safety of workers at other construction sites in the city. "Public interest is very selective (in the instant case) about the health of workmen," he had added and urged the court to dismiss the plea.

He had said the petitioners cannot decide what is the safe timeline for completing the project and the company has to finish it by November so that the Republic Day parade can be held on the Rajpath.

The project entails construction activities on Rajpath and the surrounding lawns from India Gate to Rashtrapati Bhawan, the petition, filed through advocates Gautam Khazanchi and Pradyuman Kaistha, had said.

The project envisages building a new Parliament House, a new residential complex to house offices and the Prime Minister and the Vice-President. It will also have new office buildings and a Central Secretariat to accommodate various ministries’ offices.



from Firstpost India Latest News https://ift.tt/3fDu8iZ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 vaccination: Registration for citizens above 18 years of age starts today on CoWin, Aarogya Setu portals

The registration for COVID-19 vaccination for people above the age of 18 years in India started from today ( Wednesday, 28 April ). Those who are eligible for vaccination can register themselves on two applications, namely CoWin and Aarogya Setu, to book their slots for taking the vaccine jab. For those above the age of 18, coronavirus vaccination will start from 1 May. People above the age of 18 can take the following steps to register for the vaccination: Step 1 : Open the play store to download the CoWin app or visit CoWin.gov.in Step 2 : Register on the portal using your mobile number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it to complete the registration Step 3 : You will have to enter your personal details including the number of your photo identification Step 4 : After the registration, select the date, time, and venue for your COVID-19 vaccination Step 5 : Visit the vaccination centre with your appointment slip and receive your first jab Once a person receives the first jab, th...

7 leopard cubs die at Bengaluru biological park after virus attack: Report

Seven leopard cubs have died at Bannerghatta Biological Park in Bengaluru after being infected by a highly contagious virus, officials said on Tuesday. Feline panleukopenia (FP) is a viral disease of cats caused by the feline parvovirus. Kittens are most severely affected by the virus, they said. The seven cubs were aged between three and eight months. All of them were vaccinated but succumbed during the course of treatment. According to officials, the first outbreak was reported on August 22. Executive Director of Bannerghatta Biological Park, AV Surya Sen said though the seven cubs were vaccinated, they were still infected. “It is now under control and in the last 15 days, no deaths have been reported. We have completely broken the chain and taken all necessary measures. We followed all the required procedure and also held discussions with all our senior veterinarians. All correct course of action was taken. Also, we have ensured hygiene of the entire zoo and the rescue centre wa...

Power supply, healthcare facilities remain concern for Asia’s oldest monastery

Uninterrupted power supply and access to medical care remain important worries for Asia’s oldest monastery in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang. The waste left behind by the monastery’s expanding number of tourists has also become a source of concern for Abbot Shedling Tulku Thupten Tendar Rinpoche, the monastery’s chief. The Rinpoche, who has been the head of the Tawang Monastery for a year, is pleased with the monks and learners under him, but he is concerned about other facilities accessible to them. Tawang Monastery is Asia’s second largest and oldest. It was established between 1680 and 1681. Speaking to PTI in his native Tibetan through an interpreter, Rinpoche said, “The monks of our monastery are much disciplined and concentrate on their studies. They have been following the laid-down traditions well enough. “For us, one major issue is healthcare facilities. In case of any health-related emergency, our monks have to travel to Guwahati or Tezpur. If the government can ensure simil...