Skip to main content

Assam CM Himanta, senior state officials booked by Mizoram Police over deadly border violence

Police in Mizoram have booked Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and several other officials of his state in connection with the deadly violence at a disputed border point between the two northeastern neighbours less than a week ago.

Sarma, four senior officials of Assam Police and two administrative officials have been booked for attempt to murder and criminal conspiracy, among other charges, Mizoram Inspector General of Police (Headquarters) John Neihlaia told news agency PTI.

Both states blame each other for the unprecedented violence that erupted on 26 July at the controversial point between Cachar (Assam) and Kolasib (Mizoram). Six Assam Police personnel were killed, apparently due to firing by Mizoram Police. The incident stemmed from a decades-old border dispute and the states' different perceptions of the interstate boundary.

The Centre has stepped in to control the situation, asked police forces of both states to stand down at the border, and increased the deployment of paramilitary forces in trouble-struck areas.

But the fresh action by Mizoram Police underscores the tensions casting a long shadow on relations between the two states who find themselves stuck in a quagmire. Assam has advised its people not to travel to Mizoram in such a charged atmosphere.

Four senior officials of Assam Police, booked along with the CM, are Inspector General Anurag Aggarwal, Cachar Deputy Inspector General Devojyoti Mukherjee, Cachar Superintendent of Police Cahndrakant Nimbalkar, and officer in-charge of Dholai police station Sahab Uddin.

Cachar Deputy Commissioner Keerthi Jalli and Cachar Divisional Forest Officer Sunnydeo Chaudhary have also been booked in the first information report (FIR) filed in Vairengte Police Station (Kolasib).

The four policemen and two district officials have been called for questioning on Sunday, Mizoram Police's Neihlaia told PTI. He also said cases had been filed against over 200 unidentified Assam Police personnel.

The development comes hours after legislators cutting across party lines in Assam's Barak Valley, which comprises Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj, met in Silchar and agreed to initiate legal action against the Kolasib Superintendent of Police for the 26 July incident.

Assam says there's more to the recent flare-up than the border dispute. The state maintains Assam’s crackdown on narcotics has unnerved drug lords, who it says are politically connected in Mizoram.

There have been reports that Assam summoned six officials of Kolasib district for questioning two days after the firing incident. They are Kolasib Deputy Commissioner H Lalthlangliana, Superintendent of Police (SP) Vanlalfaka Ralte, Additional SP David JB, Vairengte Sub-Divisional Officer (Civil) C Lalrempuia, 1st Indian Reserve Battalion Additional SP Bruce Kibby and Vairengte Sub-divisional Police Officer Thartea Hrangchal. 

According to Assam, the drug cartel is fomenting trouble in border areas and could be behind the gathering of mobs at the disputed point on the day of firing. It says a drug smuggling route cuts through a reserved forest at the Cachar-Kolasib border, stressing that it has adopted a zero-tolerance policy against the cartels.

Mizoram says a 200-member Assam Police team entered its land on the day of the incident and showed aggression, forcing Mizoram Police to fire back.



from Firstpost India Latest News https://ift.tt/3zOLVus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 vaccination: Registration for citizens above 18 years of age starts today on CoWin, Aarogya Setu portals

The registration for COVID-19 vaccination for people above the age of 18 years in India started from today ( Wednesday, 28 April ). Those who are eligible for vaccination can register themselves on two applications, namely CoWin and Aarogya Setu, to book their slots for taking the vaccine jab. For those above the age of 18, coronavirus vaccination will start from 1 May. People above the age of 18 can take the following steps to register for the vaccination: Step 1 : Open the play store to download the CoWin app or visit CoWin.gov.in Step 2 : Register on the portal using your mobile number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it to complete the registration Step 3 : You will have to enter your personal details including the number of your photo identification Step 4 : After the registration, select the date, time, and venue for your COVID-19 vaccination Step 5 : Visit the vaccination centre with your appointment slip and receive your first jab Once a person receives the first jab, th...

7 leopard cubs die at Bengaluru biological park after virus attack: Report

Seven leopard cubs have died at Bannerghatta Biological Park in Bengaluru after being infected by a highly contagious virus, officials said on Tuesday. Feline panleukopenia (FP) is a viral disease of cats caused by the feline parvovirus. Kittens are most severely affected by the virus, they said. The seven cubs were aged between three and eight months. All of them were vaccinated but succumbed during the course of treatment. According to officials, the first outbreak was reported on August 22. Executive Director of Bannerghatta Biological Park, AV Surya Sen said though the seven cubs were vaccinated, they were still infected. “It is now under control and in the last 15 days, no deaths have been reported. We have completely broken the chain and taken all necessary measures. We followed all the required procedure and also held discussions with all our senior veterinarians. All correct course of action was taken. Also, we have ensured hygiene of the entire zoo and the rescue centre wa...

Power supply, healthcare facilities remain concern for Asia’s oldest monastery

Uninterrupted power supply and access to medical care remain important worries for Asia’s oldest monastery in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang. The waste left behind by the monastery’s expanding number of tourists has also become a source of concern for Abbot Shedling Tulku Thupten Tendar Rinpoche, the monastery’s chief. The Rinpoche, who has been the head of the Tawang Monastery for a year, is pleased with the monks and learners under him, but he is concerned about other facilities accessible to them. Tawang Monastery is Asia’s second largest and oldest. It was established between 1680 and 1681. Speaking to PTI in his native Tibetan through an interpreter, Rinpoche said, “The monks of our monastery are much disciplined and concentrate on their studies. They have been following the laid-down traditions well enough. “For us, one major issue is healthcare facilities. In case of any health-related emergency, our monks have to travel to Guwahati or Tezpur. If the government can ensure simil...