Skip to main content

COVID-19: WHO's emergency use authorisation for Covaxin delayed again over technical queries

Emergency use authorisation (EUA) for Covaxin, the COVID-19 vaccine developed in India, has once again been delayed by the World Health Organisation according to multiple reports.

It has sent for more technical queries to its Hyderabad-based manufacturer Bharat Biotech. This comes even after Bharat Biotech has said it has submitted all data required for clearance of Covaxin.

News18 reported cited a person familiar with the matter as saying that this is a routine process and there is no concern in the matter. “It’s the usual process. Experts raise queries, which need to be answered by the company,” the official cited above said.

However, NDTV reports that the queries for Bharat Biotech come despite the Hyderabad-based drug maker asserting that it has submitted all data required for clearance.

Without the EUA, Covaxin will not be considered an accepted vaccine by most countries around the world, making it difficult for Indians who have taken the dose to travel internationally.

Last week, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare hinted that the global health body was likely to give its nod anytime soon. "There is a procedure of submitting the documents for approval. WHO's emergency use authorisation to Covaxin is expected soon," Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar, Union minister of state in the health ministry, said, according to news agency ANI.

The WHO has so far approved Covid vaccines developed by Pfizer-BioNTech, US pharma majors Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, China's Sinopharm and Oxford-AstraZeneca for emergency use.

As per Bharat Biotech, Phase III clinical trials of Covaxin had demonstrated an efficacy rate of 77.8 percent.

Covaxin is one of the six vaccines that have received emergency use authorisation from India's drug regulator and is being used in the nationwide inoculation programme, along with Covishield and Sputnik V.

With inputs from agencies



from Firstpost India Latest News https://ift.tt/3ugfWlo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 vaccination: Registration for citizens above 18 years of age starts today on CoWin, Aarogya Setu portals

The registration for COVID-19 vaccination for people above the age of 18 years in India started from today ( Wednesday, 28 April ). Those who are eligible for vaccination can register themselves on two applications, namely CoWin and Aarogya Setu, to book their slots for taking the vaccine jab. For those above the age of 18, coronavirus vaccination will start from 1 May. People above the age of 18 can take the following steps to register for the vaccination: Step 1 : Open the play store to download the CoWin app or visit CoWin.gov.in Step 2 : Register on the portal using your mobile number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it to complete the registration Step 3 : You will have to enter your personal details including the number of your photo identification Step 4 : After the registration, select the date, time, and venue for your COVID-19 vaccination Step 5 : Visit the vaccination centre with your appointment slip and receive your first jab Once a person receives the first jab, th...

7 leopard cubs die at Bengaluru biological park after virus attack: Report

Seven leopard cubs have died at Bannerghatta Biological Park in Bengaluru after being infected by a highly contagious virus, officials said on Tuesday. Feline panleukopenia (FP) is a viral disease of cats caused by the feline parvovirus. Kittens are most severely affected by the virus, they said. The seven cubs were aged between three and eight months. All of them were vaccinated but succumbed during the course of treatment. According to officials, the first outbreak was reported on August 22. Executive Director of Bannerghatta Biological Park, AV Surya Sen said though the seven cubs were vaccinated, they were still infected. “It is now under control and in the last 15 days, no deaths have been reported. We have completely broken the chain and taken all necessary measures. We followed all the required procedure and also held discussions with all our senior veterinarians. All correct course of action was taken. Also, we have ensured hygiene of the entire zoo and the rescue centre wa...

Power supply, healthcare facilities remain concern for Asia’s oldest monastery

Uninterrupted power supply and access to medical care remain important worries for Asia’s oldest monastery in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang. The waste left behind by the monastery’s expanding number of tourists has also become a source of concern for Abbot Shedling Tulku Thupten Tendar Rinpoche, the monastery’s chief. The Rinpoche, who has been the head of the Tawang Monastery for a year, is pleased with the monks and learners under him, but he is concerned about other facilities accessible to them. Tawang Monastery is Asia’s second largest and oldest. It was established between 1680 and 1681. Speaking to PTI in his native Tibetan through an interpreter, Rinpoche said, “The monks of our monastery are much disciplined and concentrate on their studies. They have been following the laid-down traditions well enough. “For us, one major issue is healthcare facilities. In case of any health-related emergency, our monks have to travel to Guwahati or Tezpur. If the government can ensure simil...