Skip to main content

The 143-year-old history of the Morbi Bridge in Gujarat that collapsed killing 130 people

Disaster struck a century-old suspension bridge on Machchhu river in Gujarat’s Morbi city on Sunday evening.

Around 6.30 pm on Sunday when the bridge (also known as Julto Pul) was crowded with women and several children, it snapped, plunging tourists into the water below. As per the latest reports, 130 people have died while the Army, Navy, Air Force, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), and Fire Brigade officials continue their search-and-rescue operations. “The rescue operation is still underway. Indian Army had reached here around 3 at night. We are trying to recover the bodies. Teams of NDRF are also carrying out rescue operations,” said Major Gaurav of the Indian Army.


Gujarat Minister of State for Home Harsh Sanghavi told reporters at Morbi, around 300 km from the state capital, that the state government has formed a committee to probe the collapse.

Eyewitnesses recounting the horror to news agency PTI said that some people were seen jumping on the bridge and pulling its big wires. After the collapse, all that remained of the bridge was part of the metal carriageway hanging down from one end into the dark water, its thick cables snapped in places.

Shortly after the accident, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh for the next of kin of each of those who lost their lives in the incident. The injured persons would be given an amount of Rs 50,000.

Incidentally, the bridge had just reopened to the public on 26 October — Gujarati New Year Day, after nearly six months of renovation. Let’s take a closer look at the history of the 230-metre bridge.

‘Historic’ hanging bridge

The 230-metre long suspension bridge situated on Machchhu river in Gujarat’s Morbi city is today a tourist attraction, drawing hundreds of people on a daily basis.

It is said that the bridge, built on same the lines of the Ram and Lakshman Jhulas on the Ganga in Uttarakhand, was constructed by Morbi’s former ruler Sir Waghji Thakor 143 years ago.

He was inspired by colonial influence and decided to construct the bridge, as an “artistic and technological marvel” of that period, to connect Darbargadh Palace with Nazarbag Palace (the residences of the then royalty).

The hanging bridge was first inaugurated on 20 February 1879, by then-Mumbai governor Richard Temple. All the material came from England and cost Rs 3.5 lakh at that time to construct the bridge.

The bridge had suffered severe damage in the 2001 earthquake.

Closed for renovations

The famous suspension bridge had shut down for six months for renovations and only reopened on 26 October — five days before the incident took place.

According to Chief Officer of Morbi Municipality Sandeepsinh Zala, the bridge had been given to Oreva company for operation and maintenance for 15 years. In March, they shut down the bridge for renovation at a cost of Rs 2 crore.

It was opened to the public last Wednesday but hadn’t been issued any fitness certificate after the renovation work by the authorities.

“It was a government tender. Oreva group was supposed to give its renovation details and get a quality check before opening the bridge. But it did not do so. The government was not aware about this,” Zala was quoted as saying by NDTV.

Overcrowded bridge?

Eyewitnesses recount the moment when the bridge snapped, taking hundreds to their deaths. The bridge was overcrowded with tourists on account of it being a Sunday and the long Diwali week.

However, some people stated that a few youths started shaking the bridge intentionally, making it difficult for people to walk. Ahmedabad resident Vijay Goswami, who had visited the site earlier in the day, told PTI that he had alerted the bridge staff about the incident, but they were indifferent.

“There was a huge crowd on the bridge. My family and I were on the bridge when some youths started shaking it intentionally. It was impossible for people to stand without holding any support. Since I had a feeling that it may prove dangerous, my family and I came back after covering some distance on the bridge,” Goswami told reporters after reaching Ahmedabad.

“Before leaving the spot, I alerted the on-duty staff to stop people from shaking the bridge. However, they were only interested in selling tickets and told us that there is no system to control the crowd. Hours after we left, our fears turned true as the bridge eventually collapsed,” he said.

With inputs from agencies

Read all the Latest News, Trending News, Cricket News, Bollywood News,
India News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.



from Firstpost India Latest News https://ift.tt/v1qU87E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 vaccination: Registration for citizens above 18 years of age starts today on CoWin, Aarogya Setu portals

The registration for COVID-19 vaccination for people above the age of 18 years in India started from today ( Wednesday, 28 April ). Those who are eligible for vaccination can register themselves on two applications, namely CoWin and Aarogya Setu, to book their slots for taking the vaccine jab. For those above the age of 18, coronavirus vaccination will start from 1 May. People above the age of 18 can take the following steps to register for the vaccination: Step 1 : Open the play store to download the CoWin app or visit CoWin.gov.in Step 2 : Register on the portal using your mobile number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it to complete the registration Step 3 : You will have to enter your personal details including the number of your photo identification Step 4 : After the registration, select the date, time, and venue for your COVID-19 vaccination Step 5 : Visit the vaccination centre with your appointment slip and receive your first jab Once a person receives the first jab, th...

7 leopard cubs die at Bengaluru biological park after virus attack: Report

Seven leopard cubs have died at Bannerghatta Biological Park in Bengaluru after being infected by a highly contagious virus, officials said on Tuesday. Feline panleukopenia (FP) is a viral disease of cats caused by the feline parvovirus. Kittens are most severely affected by the virus, they said. The seven cubs were aged between three and eight months. All of them were vaccinated but succumbed during the course of treatment. According to officials, the first outbreak was reported on August 22. Executive Director of Bannerghatta Biological Park, AV Surya Sen said though the seven cubs were vaccinated, they were still infected. “It is now under control and in the last 15 days, no deaths have been reported. We have completely broken the chain and taken all necessary measures. We followed all the required procedure and also held discussions with all our senior veterinarians. All correct course of action was taken. Also, we have ensured hygiene of the entire zoo and the rescue centre wa...

Power supply, healthcare facilities remain concern for Asia’s oldest monastery

Uninterrupted power supply and access to medical care remain important worries for Asia’s oldest monastery in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang. The waste left behind by the monastery’s expanding number of tourists has also become a source of concern for Abbot Shedling Tulku Thupten Tendar Rinpoche, the monastery’s chief. The Rinpoche, who has been the head of the Tawang Monastery for a year, is pleased with the monks and learners under him, but he is concerned about other facilities accessible to them. Tawang Monastery is Asia’s second largest and oldest. It was established between 1680 and 1681. Speaking to PTI in his native Tibetan through an interpreter, Rinpoche said, “The monks of our monastery are much disciplined and concentrate on their studies. They have been following the laid-down traditions well enough. “For us, one major issue is healthcare facilities. In case of any health-related emergency, our monks have to travel to Guwahati or Tezpur. If the government can ensure simil...