Skip to main content

Kashmiri Pandit shot dead by terrorists in J&K's Pulwama

New Delhi: In yet another targeted killing in Jammu and Kashmir, a Kashmiri Pandit working as a security guard at a bank was shot dead by terrorists in south Kashmir’s Pulwama on Sunday morning.

The victim, identified as Sanjay Sharma, a resident of Achan village in Pulwama, was attacked by terrorists when he was on his way to a local market. He was critically injured in the attack following which he was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed to injuries.

“Terrorists fired upon one civilian from minority namely Sanjay Sharma S/O Kashinath Sharma R/O Achan Pulwama while on way to local market. He was shifted to hospital however, he succumbed to injuries. There was Armed guard in his village. Area cordoned off. Details shall follow,” the Jammu and Kashmir Police tweeted.

This is the first fatal attack on a Kashmiri Pandit in the Valley since October.

In October last year, a Kashmiri Pandit farmer Puran Krishan Bhat was gunned down by suspected militants outside his house in Chowdhary Gund village of Shopian. The killing had triggered a fresh wave of migration from the Valley as ten families from the village left for Jammu soon after.

After the abolition of Jammu and Kashmir’s special status in 2019, there have been a number of assaults against Kashmiri Pandits and other members of the minority community in the Valley. From October 2021, the attacks have increased.

Reacting to the development, National Conference leader Omar Abdullah said he was”deeply saddened to hear of the demise of Sanjay Pandith” and unequivocally condemned the attack.

“Deeply saddened to hear of the demise of Sanjay Pandith of Achan in Pulwama district of South Kashmir. Sanjay was working as a bank security guard & was killed in a militant attack earlier today. I unequivocally condemn this attack & send my condolences to his loved ones,” tweeted National Conference leader Omar Abdullah.

With inputs from agencies

Read all the Latest News, Trending News, Cricket News, Bollywood News,
India News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.



from Firstpost India Latest News https://ift.tt/9POyqlQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 vaccination: Registration for citizens above 18 years of age starts today on CoWin, Aarogya Setu portals

The registration for COVID-19 vaccination for people above the age of 18 years in India started from today ( Wednesday, 28 April ). Those who are eligible for vaccination can register themselves on two applications, namely CoWin and Aarogya Setu, to book their slots for taking the vaccine jab. For those above the age of 18, coronavirus vaccination will start from 1 May. People above the age of 18 can take the following steps to register for the vaccination: Step 1 : Open the play store to download the CoWin app or visit CoWin.gov.in Step 2 : Register on the portal using your mobile number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it to complete the registration Step 3 : You will have to enter your personal details including the number of your photo identification Step 4 : After the registration, select the date, time, and venue for your COVID-19 vaccination Step 5 : Visit the vaccination centre with your appointment slip and receive your first jab Once a person receives the first jab, th...

7 leopard cubs die at Bengaluru biological park after virus attack: Report

Seven leopard cubs have died at Bannerghatta Biological Park in Bengaluru after being infected by a highly contagious virus, officials said on Tuesday. Feline panleukopenia (FP) is a viral disease of cats caused by the feline parvovirus. Kittens are most severely affected by the virus, they said. The seven cubs were aged between three and eight months. All of them were vaccinated but succumbed during the course of treatment. According to officials, the first outbreak was reported on August 22. Executive Director of Bannerghatta Biological Park, AV Surya Sen said though the seven cubs were vaccinated, they were still infected. “It is now under control and in the last 15 days, no deaths have been reported. We have completely broken the chain and taken all necessary measures. We followed all the required procedure and also held discussions with all our senior veterinarians. All correct course of action was taken. Also, we have ensured hygiene of the entire zoo and the rescue centre wa...

Power supply, healthcare facilities remain concern for Asia’s oldest monastery

Uninterrupted power supply and access to medical care remain important worries for Asia’s oldest monastery in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang. The waste left behind by the monastery’s expanding number of tourists has also become a source of concern for Abbot Shedling Tulku Thupten Tendar Rinpoche, the monastery’s chief. The Rinpoche, who has been the head of the Tawang Monastery for a year, is pleased with the monks and learners under him, but he is concerned about other facilities accessible to them. Tawang Monastery is Asia’s second largest and oldest. It was established between 1680 and 1681. Speaking to PTI in his native Tibetan through an interpreter, Rinpoche said, “The monks of our monastery are much disciplined and concentrate on their studies. They have been following the laid-down traditions well enough. “For us, one major issue is healthcare facilities. In case of any health-related emergency, our monks have to travel to Guwahati or Tezpur. If the government can ensure simil...