Skip to main content

Manipur Violence: SC asks UIDAI, state to ensure Aadhaar cards for displaced persons

The Supreme Court mandated on Monday that the Home Secretary of Manipur and the Deputy Director General of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), Gauhati, make sure that any displaced individuals in an ethnically divided state who may have lost their Aadhaar cards are given a copy of the card after proper verification.

Concerned about the possibility of illegal immigrants in Manipur obtaining Aadhaar cards, a bench of the Chief Justice of India, DY Chandrachud, and Justices JB Pardiwala and Manoj Misra warned UIDAI that it must match the biometric information pertaining to each person who has claimed that they have lost their Aadhaar card with its database.

“Someone will have to verify if they are genuine citizens. What if someone is an illegal entrant? We will say that the authorities will verify if the person is a genuine citizen. We can’t pass a general order,” the CJI said.

The bench stated that it will be simple for those who have misplaced their Aadhaar cards because their biometric information will already be available.

“Deputy Director General, UIDAI, regional office Gauhati and State Home Secretary shall take all steps to ensure that Aadhaar cards are provided to all displaced persons who may have lost their Aadhaar cards in the process of displacement. We clarify that UIDAI which would have biometric data… would match the claims of any displaced persons, and issue Aadhaar cards,” the top court ordered.

The Supreme Court-appointed High Power Committee recommended that the UIDAI be given instructions for providing Aadhaar cards for the state’s displaced citizens, and the Apex Court agreed.
The bench was informed by senior attorney Ranjit Kumar, who was representing the Meitei side, that many people with Aadhaar cards are also illegal immigrants.

CJI said that he had previously stated that verification will take place prior to the issuance of the Aadhaar card.

The bench also made it plain that it does not intend to oversee every aspect of the state’s government from here in order to run Manipur from there.

“We do not propose to run the Manipur administration in the Supreme Court. We will not hear the case every week, we will hear it every four weeks. We do not believe the High Court of Manipur is not functioning,” the bench said after senior advocate Anand Grover, appearing for the Kuki side, said lawyers of the Kuki community were not being allowed to appear before the High Court to espouse causes related to the violence in the State.

The top court instructed the head of the Manipur High Court Bar Association to certify that attorneys were not being prohibited from testifying before the High Court because of their membership in a particular religion or community.

Additionally, it directed the president of the bar association to draught a statement and submit High Court orders verifying the attendance of solicitors from all communities.

The High Court Bar Association President informed the bench that solicitors from all groups were participating in cases both physically and virtually.

The cases involving the conflict between the Meitei and Kuki communities in Manipur have been brought before the highest court.
Following an event on May 3 organised by the All Tribal Students Union of Manipur (ATSUM), fighting broke out between the Meiteis and the tribal Kuki in Manipur.

Since May, the state has been engulfed in violence, and the Central government has to use paramilitary forces to put things under control.

(With agency inputs)



from Firstpost India Latest News https://ift.tt/4kRcfJH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 vaccination: Registration for citizens above 18 years of age starts today on CoWin, Aarogya Setu portals

The registration for COVID-19 vaccination for people above the age of 18 years in India started from today ( Wednesday, 28 April ). Those who are eligible for vaccination can register themselves on two applications, namely CoWin and Aarogya Setu, to book their slots for taking the vaccine jab. For those above the age of 18, coronavirus vaccination will start from 1 May. People above the age of 18 can take the following steps to register for the vaccination: Step 1 : Open the play store to download the CoWin app or visit CoWin.gov.in Step 2 : Register on the portal using your mobile number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it to complete the registration Step 3 : You will have to enter your personal details including the number of your photo identification Step 4 : After the registration, select the date, time, and venue for your COVID-19 vaccination Step 5 : Visit the vaccination centre with your appointment slip and receive your first jab Once a person receives the first jab, th...

7 leopard cubs die at Bengaluru biological park after virus attack: Report

Seven leopard cubs have died at Bannerghatta Biological Park in Bengaluru after being infected by a highly contagious virus, officials said on Tuesday. Feline panleukopenia (FP) is a viral disease of cats caused by the feline parvovirus. Kittens are most severely affected by the virus, they said. The seven cubs were aged between three and eight months. All of them were vaccinated but succumbed during the course of treatment. According to officials, the first outbreak was reported on August 22. Executive Director of Bannerghatta Biological Park, AV Surya Sen said though the seven cubs were vaccinated, they were still infected. “It is now under control and in the last 15 days, no deaths have been reported. We have completely broken the chain and taken all necessary measures. We followed all the required procedure and also held discussions with all our senior veterinarians. All correct course of action was taken. Also, we have ensured hygiene of the entire zoo and the rescue centre wa...

Power supply, healthcare facilities remain concern for Asia’s oldest monastery

Uninterrupted power supply and access to medical care remain important worries for Asia’s oldest monastery in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang. The waste left behind by the monastery’s expanding number of tourists has also become a source of concern for Abbot Shedling Tulku Thupten Tendar Rinpoche, the monastery’s chief. The Rinpoche, who has been the head of the Tawang Monastery for a year, is pleased with the monks and learners under him, but he is concerned about other facilities accessible to them. Tawang Monastery is Asia’s second largest and oldest. It was established between 1680 and 1681. Speaking to PTI in his native Tibetan through an interpreter, Rinpoche said, “The monks of our monastery are much disciplined and concentrate on their studies. They have been following the laid-down traditions well enough. “For us, one major issue is healthcare facilities. In case of any health-related emergency, our monks have to travel to Guwahati or Tezpur. If the government can ensure simil...